chiang mai photo - view from the doi Suthep temple

Thailand Visa info, how to get a Thai visa

Latest Thailand travel update for Indians June 2021

Thai visa information, choose the right type of visa and find the Thai embassy or consulate closest to you.

Arabic translation

Getting a long term Thai visa is hassle free if done in the right fashion. The big question on every expat’s mind is visa to stay in Thailand. Check your options below. It is illegal to work in Thailand without a work permit. There is also a restricted job list. Foreigners are not allowed to work in the jobs listed on the restricted list.


Thai Visa non-b picture
Thailand Visa non-b


A Thailand tourist visa issued at a land border entitles a stay of only 15 days. If you intend to stay longer try to arrive by plane into an airport and you’ll likely get 60 days. if you intend to stay longer get a non-b visa. read more below about non-b [wptab name=’Tourist visa’] This visa is issued at the Thai embassy in your country. General requirements are a return air ticket, photograph, proof of fund at least 20,000 bahts per person or 40,000 bahts for a family and passport should be valid for at least 6 months. Other requirements vary with the country of origin. Usually a 60 day stay is granted. Check for the Thai embassy here . Visa on arrival is granted too.
There are three types of transit visa that are granted for usually a stay period not exceeding 1 month and may vary in some cases.
Category TS is issued to travel through the kingdom to the destination country.
Category S is issued to sports persons who want to participate in sports activities. If the stay is more than a month then sports persons should apply for non-b category O visa.
Category C is issued for sailors and crew entering the kingdom to board their ship or “conveyance”.
General requirements are a return air ticket, photograph, proof of fund at least 10,000 bahts per person or 20,000 per family and passport should be valid for at least 6 months.

[wptab name=’Non-immigrant visa’]
Read through to check required documents, non-b visa allows a 90 day stay in the kingdom and can be extended at the immigration office in the city or town that you live, in Thailand. If you are entering Thailand for work, make sure you get your work permit before you go for an extension, all foreigners are required report every 90 days at the immigration office read more about 90 day reporting here

Non-immigrant visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for the following purposes:
Category “F” to perform official duties
Category “B” for business or work
Category “IM” for investors with the acceptance of the Thai Ministries and government departments concerned
Category “IB” for investors to perform activities relating to investment, subject to the provision of the established laws on investment promotion. Usually, related to board of investment.
Category “ED” for all educational purposes including attending education related conferences, seminars, studying at a university, school, language school, TEFL etc.
Category “M” for film-producers, journalists or reporters. Usually all media related activities
Category “R” for religious activities such as missionary work or other religious activities with permission of the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned
Category “RS” for research related activities such as scientific research or training or teaching in a research institute
Category “EX” for experts or specialists in various fields such as IT consultants etc.
Category “O” is for everything else that doesn’t match the above mentioned categories like staying with the family, for working in the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, retirement for the elderly, medical treatment, sport coach appointed by Thai Government, contestant or witness for the judicial process.
1.Visa application form
3.Passport valid for 6 months
4.Birth certificate or marriage certificate for category O.
5.Letter or note certifying the purpose of travel from government agencies and WP3 form only for categories “F” / “B” / “ED” / “M” / “R”.
6. Additional documents(usually provided by the employer) for category B – Employment acceptance or offer letter or business invitation letter, employment contract(if coming to work in Thailand), company balance sheet, list of shareholders, employees, tax documents, business registration and business license.
Copies of academic certificates, previous experience or recommendation letters of the applicant.
If any document is missing then the company should submit a letter explaining the reasons.

7.Visa fee usually range from 2000 to 5000 depending on the number of entries and other service fees at the consulate or application services like VFS.
IMPORTANT: Nationals of some countries have to apply for non-b visa in their home country such as Indians, Bangladeshi, Pakistani etc. Check with the Thai embassy in your country for further infomation. Thai embassies around the world

[wptab name=’Diplomatic visa’]
This visa is issued to diplomats and is granted on any foreign government’s request.


Tourists on a tourist visa can usually stay 30 days to 60 days depending on your nationality. To extend the visa you will have to leave the country, get a new Thai visa and get back. The easiest way to do this is to go to LAOS, CAMBODIA or MYANMAR (Burma). Check with the immigration especially if you are not from western Europe or America. Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis need to head back to their countries to extend or change their visa. you can check the official Thai immigration site . Changing your visa from a tourist to non-b is required if you want to work, study or just live here long term. There are a lot of universities and private schools that teach Thai. Studying Thai is the easiest way to stay in Thailand for up to a year and really experience the country while gaining a new skill.

The Visa run to the Cambodian border takes about 4 hours from Bangkok. If you are in Chiang mai then it is easy to go to Mae sai border with Myanmar.

Education (ED) visa.
To study in Thailand, you need to obtain a Non immigrant -ED visa. the ED visa is usually granted for 90 days and can be extended in Thailand for most nationalities. Check with the immigration well before your visa expires. Apply for a ED visa at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country. To apply you need to have an offer letter from an approved educational institution and necessary funds to support yourself during your stay, Thailand does not permit students to work. There are many universities, language schools and vocational schools that enroll international students.

Work visa – Non immigrant B (business and work)

To work in Thailand, a NON Immigrant category B visa is needed. The term work includes any voluntary work both paid and non paid. To apply for a Non – B work visa, the employer will have to provide the necessary documents. Look for the wp3 form which is the employment certification, signed employment contract, business registration of the employer, financial statements and a list of all employees working in the organization is required along with a labor department approval. This visa is not sufficient to begin working in Thailand. A work permit is necessary to legally work. After you enter the country on a non b visa, you’ll have to get a work permit with your employer’s help.

other categories:
Non immigrant category O is the spouse visa.

Indians can apply for a Thai visa through VFS.
They have visa application centers in
New Delhi – 8-11, UGF, Tolstoy House,Tolstoy Marg, Janpath,New Delhi 110 001 Phone +91 (0)22 67866003 (North India)
Chandigarh – SCO 165-166, Madhya Marg Sec – 8C,Chandigarh-160018
Chennai – New No 4, Old No 14, Sadasivam Street,Gopalapuram,Chennai – 600 086. Phone +91 (0)44 43506353 (south India)
Hyderabad – VFS Thailand, Shop No 203, Mekins Maheshwari Mayank Plaza,Greenlands, Ameerpet,Hyderabad 500016
Bangalore – 2nd Floor, Prestige Atrium,No1, Central Street,Bangalore-560 001

4 thoughts to “Thailand Visa info, how to get a Thai visa”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.